Art of Illusion is an advanced 3D modeling, texturing, ray tracing, and rendering package for computer generated imagery stills or animations and movies.
The goal of Art of Illusion is to provide powerful 3D modeling tools with a user interface that improves on those found in other 3D software packages. Though its interface is simple, Art of Illusion contains many features found in high-end graphics software. Some of its features, like the use of online repositories and a built-in downloading tool for installing extensions, are not found in similar proprietary software.
* Object list, scene layout windows, and animation score
* Tooltips and explanatory icons
* Bundled documentation and help interface
* Built-in "live help" chat client for connecting to the freenode Art of Illusion support channel
* Extensions available as scripts or plugins with automated installation and update from online repository (requires internet connection)
* Grid view and realtime display modes including Wireframe, Smooth, Textured
* Primitives: cube, sphere, cone, tube, curve, triangle mesh, spline mesh
* Boolean modeling operations
* Lathe, sweep, extrude (straight or along a curve)
* Subdivision surfaces (smoothing) with edge creasing available for triangle meshes.
* Mesh editor featuring adjustable mesh tension, bevel, taper, various selection methods (including select edge loop/strip), etc.
* Object array tool (multidimensional arrays or arrays along a curve)
* Isosurface modeling (via procedural nodes or direct numeric input)
* Distortion tracks for effects like bend, twist, and shatter
* Skeletal animation with weighting, constraints and IK
* Poses and Gestures
* Keyframe editor with interpolating curves
* Path animation
* Animation through scripted objects, e.g. particles using Particle Jet script
* Types: Uniform, image mapped, procedural 2D and 3D
* Mapping options: Projection, spherical, cylindrical, UV
* Per-vertex, per-face and per-face-per-vertex texture assignment (depending on textured object)
* Layered textures
* Graphical language for procedural texture/material design
* Procedural textures can be based on parameters like view angle (for fresnel-like effects), etc.
* Animate textures via texture parameters and use of Time module
* Environment background can be mapped with any photo (HDR or RGB), as well as procedural textures
* Procedural and uniform materials
* Adjustable index of refraction, scattering, eccentricity
* Animate materials via Time module
* Light types: Point lights, spotlights (both with editable radii), and directional lights
* Soft shadows
* Light scattering for materials: Both Single Scattering and Photon Scattering (BSSRDF). User can specify either or both at rendertime.
* Raytraced depth of field
* Gloss/translucency (blurred reflections and blurry transparency)
* Motion blur
* HDRI scene illumination
* Save renders as HDRI images
* Camera filters (Exposure Correction, Glow, Outline, Tint, Blur, etc.)
* Noise reduction for Global Illumination
* Scripting language (Beanshell) allowing development of new tools/commands
* Dynamic Scripts ("smart objects" - see flyswatter tutorial)
Windows and MacOS Compatible:
* Windows XP
* Windows Vista
* Windows 7
* Windows 8
* Windows 8.1
* Windows 10
This software is compatible with all Intel based Mac computers from MacOS 10.6 Snow Leopard to the latest new release.